Topic: Re[2]: Not about Reform!
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
ltownsley-kulich@ben.edu

Re[2]: Not about Reform!

Let me echo Rex's endorsement of DERIVE. It is SIMILAR to the TI-92,
but different. Both computer algebra systems were written by the folks
at Soft Warehouse (swh@aloha.com and web site www.derive.com).

For networking, the Info Service people at our school have had greater
success with DERIVE for Windows than the DOS version. Both versions
are extremely easy to use.

The reason we went with DERIVE over other computer algebra choices is
that is has a really easy user interface and no programming skills are
required. I have enough trouble getting my AVERAGE students to latch
onto calculus concepts without them worrying about how to communicate
with another machine and writing code properly.

Enjoying the debates, but those of us heavily into reform are too busy
to write in often.

Lisa Townsley Kulich
Benedictine University

Please come continue the debates at the 10th Anniv International
Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics, Nov 6-9, 1997 in
Chicago. (web site at www.awl.com/he/ictcm/)

Subject: Re: Not about Reform!
Author: ap-calc@ets.org at Internet
Date: 6/17/97 10:03 AM

> From: Rex Boggs <R.Boggs@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <ap-calc@ets.org>
>
> Has anyone on this list used Derive, Theorist (now called MathView),
> Maple and Mathematica enough to make a recommendation as to which is
> most suitable for AP-Calculus?

Derive, upon which the Ti-92 is based, is easy enough to use.

Dave Slomer
AP Calculus and Computer Science Teacher
Winton Woods HS, Cincinnati, OH 45240