Topic: Re: Reply to Jerry Rosen
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jun 20, 1997 11:14 AM

Lou Talman

Re: Reply to Jerry Rosen

Jerry Rosen wrote:

> The number of students in our developmental math program is at an
> all-time high (overall student enrollment has declined a bit) and the
> percentage failing developmental math has grown rapidly during the 90's.

He attributes this to "reform". Our enrollment is climbing; otherwise this
statement would be true of my institution as well--and with "percent of FTE"
in place of "number of students". "Reform" is only a year or so old in the
public schools here in Colorado. Am I supposed to believe that it's so
effective at destroying curriculum that we've gone that far downhill that
quickly? And that it worked retroactively to cause the decline I've seen over
the last three decades?

Perhaps we should be looking for other causes than a monolithic reform that
doesn't exist and never did.

Several paragraphs later in the post, he wrote:

> I don't disagree with a statement of Lou's that traditional education
> failed people - it has - but it has been the implementation of it and not
> it's ideas which have caused the problems.

Sauce for the goose, but not for the gander?

--Lou Talman