Re: Reply to Jerry Rosen

> From: jerry rosen <vcmth00g@email.csun.edu>
>
> Some of you asked about omissions from the Harvard text. Below is a list
> of omissions and severe weaknesses.

I can't find my copy of Harvard. Maybe it so scared me as to make me burn
it.

In any event, I don't think its omissions and weaknesses ought to be used
against the whole reform movement.

Now that I see an "official" list of omissions--ESPECIALLY RELATED RATES--I
am beginning to wonder why ANYBODY would choose it.

But there are definitely good books with nowhere near as many omissions. As
I recall, in 1994, my concern was more with the lack of L'Hopital's rule,
continuity, and its treatment of limits. That was enough for me. I don't
recall shock at noticing no related rates--are you SURE they aren't in
there somewhere?

Dave Slomer
AP Calculus and Computer Science Teacher
Winton Woods HS, Cincinnati, OH 45240