Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:58:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan hart <dhart@lausd.k12.ca.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <ap-calc@ets.org>
Subject: Re: AP-CALC: Garfield and Escalante

Dave-

Wayne is too modest to say it himself, but he was the only prof he
mentionned from the podium when CSULA gave Escalante an honorary degree. I
guess Wayne did some work with him when Escalante came back to college to
brush up or something.

Garfield is very similar to my school. Similar size (about 4500) 99%
minority, 95% Hispanic at least. Low SES, high gangs, high dropout, very
low motivation from far too many kids.

Escalante entered a vacuum and he made the most of it. He was lucky to
have a principal who let him do what he wanted to do and who believed in
him, Henry Gradillas. Gradillas went on a sabbatical to get his Phd and
Escalante had to deal with someone else who represents the more prevalent
view in LAUSD. "Don't require too much from these kids. They're victims
and their self esteem damages easily." Of course, that's how we end up
with a 40% dropout rate.

What Escalante understood about the AP, had nothing to do with calculus.
He understood the exam was the key to preparing kids from the barrio to be
competent at the college level. If they could pass the AP, there was
virtually nothing to hold them back from doing what they pleased in
college. Teaching where I do, my main priority is producing COMPETENCE,
kids who know how to study, know the skills and concepts necessary to
succeed anywhere and not feel "less than".

Unfortunately, too manyXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

At my school, we have some very bright kids( we had our first 800 in math
this year), but too many have absolutely terrible work habits. Since we
implemented Saxon, our higher level students are substantially better
prepared. What they study they know and I'm able to take them places in
problem solving I never would have imagined five years ago!

Many of my AP students are so automatic with their algebraic skills and
concepts, most problems in "Calculus Problems for a New Century" are
easily within their understanding.

I just don't understand how you can jumpXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dan Hart
SFHS