> From: Ddeliberto@aol.com
> To: Multiple recipients of list <ap-calc@ets.org>
> Subject: Calculator
> Date: Thursday, July 31, 1997 12:56 PM
>

> I am curious to know which claculator people are using. We have been

using
> the TI 82 and before that we used Casio. I liked the TI -82 better, but
now
> that the TI 83 is out, I wonder if anyone found that the 83 has more
> advantages (or disadvantages). It is unfortunate that the TI-92 is still

not
> allowed on the test.

The 83 replaces the 82. It is best for AP stats, but more than adequate for
Ap calc.
The 86 replaces the 85. It does slope fields and Euler's method in DifEq
mode and is great for the Ap calculus, but the 83 is good enough, frankly.
The 82 is good enough, if that's what you have!

> Has anyone used the TI-92 for teaching specific lessons?

I have. Results vary if the kids are trying to follow along (we have a
classroom set). Since not nearly every kid had one of their own last year,
I was reluctant to use it for all my demos, but I did and they didn't mind.
They know their 82-83-85 well enough to adapt. Besides, I was teaching
calculus with it, not calculators.

> Are students allowed to purchase their own claculator or does the school
> provide them and let studnets use them like textbooks? Having taught

classes
> where students chose their own claculator, I can tell you firsthand how
> difficult it is to teach when students use different claculators!

I asked a similar question in May on Graph-TI and got a TON of responses.
There are many creative ways of providing students with this technology so
that it is theirs 24 hours a day. All make student and parent sign off on
replacing it if lost or stolen. Nobody reported failure or regret.

If I can find the messages and if I have enough space, I'll put them on my
web site today. The 3 issues here (finding, space, and remembering) make it
unlikely that they'll get there, though!

Dave Slomer
AP Calculus and Computer Science Teacher
Winton Woods HS, Cincinnati, OH 45240