Topic: Foerster book
Replies: 12   Last Post: Oct 20, 1997 9:19 PM

Wayne Murrah

Re: Foerster book

>Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 20:16:33 -0500
>To:"David or Linda Hollar" <david@appstate.campus.mci.net>
>From:wmurrah@awod.com (Wayne)
>Subject:Re: book

I am using the supplementary materials regularly, yet selectively. I find
them to be excellent resources overall. For example, for each chapter
there are handouots that will be helpful occasionally, so I pass those on
to the students in packets as we begin each chapter. For many of the
units, there are exploratory / discovery worksheets that can be used for
group or individual classwork or for assignments; some of these are
excellent. Usually I do not discuss or correct them with the students
since the worksheets are introducing the major concepts of the coming topic
which will be clarified right away by the lesson. Occasionally I collect
them for a check of homework effort, however. As for the tests, I used the
first two almost verbatim, as they were excellent in testing the
introductory concepts early in the course. Since then I have largely
written the tests myself, selectively cutting and pasting a few problems
from the resource manual. I find that to use the author's tests in their
entirety has a little too much discovery / exploration /
leading-questioning for my taste in testing methods. Overall, though, the
author's supplementary materials are a great help. In general, after two
months into the course I feel that I am in a comfortable routine with all
the materials.

>>Thank you for your comments. Are the suggested assignments and
>>tests/quizzes supplied by the author being used in your class? If so, how
>>are they working? I have until spring of 99 to decide, so feel free to
>>send comments at any time. I ordered all the extras, solutions,
>>instructor's guide and a book containing tests - can't remember the name of
>>it, that was offered with the book.
>>
>>Linda Hollar
>>Watauga High School
>>Boone, NC