Topic: Re: BC via distance learning
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Barb Bredel

Re: BC via distance learning

I am currently teaching AB over the distance learning network in the
northwoods of Wisconsin. It has been an experience.

The biggest probem by far has been the difference in the schedules at each
school. One district has this day off, the next one has that day off, the
third one has two days off, and the one I'm in is here all week. Sometimes
it's a jugling act. You can have the schools tape the class and the kids
can watch it later. This works much better than you doing the taping and
trying to get the tape to them.

Then there are the announcements. Try to get all the schools to turn them
off in the TV room you use. Fire drills and tornado alerts are fun, too.

I write my tests on my computer at home and fax them directly to the
schools. The copies are better that way. I found that if I faxed the test
through the scanner, I had a lot of trouble with equal signs and negatives
being confused, and other typo problems. The kids do the test while I watch
and then fax them back at the end of the hour.

I write out an outline for each chapter and include problems to be turned in
for each sections. They are due when we finish the section and the kids fax
them to me during class. I fax them back after I check them.

When there has been a particularly difficult section or when the kids seem
to be lost on some points, I have scheduled after school study sessions on
the network. These seem to work pretty well and have helped some of the
students.

I hope this helps.

Barb