Topic: Re: prerequisites
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 4, 1998 11:32 AM

Sharon/Murray Siegel

Re: prerequisites

>Wayne Bishop wrote:
>>
>> The idea that any student should be able to take any course no matter
>> how prerequisite incompetent is an abomination that is undercutting
>> the very egalitarian opportunity that it is intended to help.
>>

>Although I might not have used the word "abomination", I'm in substantial
>agreement with Wayne on this. Even though he'll probably decide he must
>have been wrong when he finds out who agreed with him.
>
>It has gotten so bad that kids show up in courses for whose prerequisite
>they got an 'F', saying "I took it, didn't I?"
>
>--Lou Talman

My attitude has always been that every student has the right to
fail. I refuse to slow down my Calculus class for some student who was
"waived" into the class. On the other hand, I have had a number of
students who did poorly in Precalculus or did not take it at all, yet did
exceptionally well in BC. I had one student who demanded to take Calculus
despite not knowing much about Trig and nothing about logarithms. He got a
5 on the BC. Of course he worked every problem in every chapter covered,
whether the problem was assigned or not. He then went on to receive an EE
degree at Georgia Tech.

Murray Siegel
J.L. Mann H.S.
Greenville, SC