Topic: Re: New -vs- Old Demana Waits -Reply -Reply
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Albert Goetz

At 02:54 PM 6/24/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>A quick response, if you mean the new Kennedy edition of Demana, Waits,
et. al:

>The graphics are the best I have seen in any text yet.
>
>Kennedy has kept many of the good exercises (always a strength of the Thomas
>line of books in my opinion) and added many that are directed towards

group learning.

>Such new topics as slope fields, local linearity, Euler's method and the

integral as
>accumulation function have been added. The flavor of the book is very
much "new
>curriculum.
>
>After being almost sure that I was going to use either Foerster or

Ostebee-Zorn next
>year, I am going to the new Kennedy book.
>
>Albert Goetz

Curious as to where you saw a copy of the text. I was told by the
publisher that it would not be out for several months. I have seen only a
photocopy of the draft.
Vic Levine
Madison Memorial High School
201 S. Gammon Road
Madison, WI 53717-1499
vlevine@facstaff.wisc.edu
FAX 608.271.2927

I signed up for a copy at the A-W desk at NCTM in Washington in the spring. It
arrived about two weeks before I was to go to Clemson for the AP reading. Dan
Kennedy had at least one copy there, was passing it around and people were talking
about it. AG