Topic: Re: Calculator question
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
LMarks/DVanLeeuwen

Re: Calculator question

I would expect the second answer to be a "bug". Computing left to right, 10
divided by 5 is 2, which multiplied by 2 is 4. Your question makes me wish I
had the TI-82 manual at home. It might be a matter of the calculator's "guts"
somehow attributing the non-symbolic multiplication a higher priority, as if
the 5 times 2 were grouped together. This might also be a clue as to how some
of my best and brightest students obtained erroneous results while working on
problems which I knew should be simple to them.