Topic: Function Composition Question
Replies: 35   Last Post: Oct 28, 1998 3:27 PM

Lou Talman

Re: Function Composition Question

Sheila King wrote:

> I find that I need to do PreCalc review with my group each year. I
> <shudder> spent a bit over three weeks on PreCalc review and then gave
> a test on what I reviewed with them. Happy note: the test results were
> good.

Something troubles me about this. It seems to me that the lesson we
teach when we conduct extended reviews like this is that students don't
have to deal with the stuff of the current course because the teacher in
the next course will go over it again--and, moreover, give credit for it
in the next course. I typically find that I don't really have enough
time to cover the current course as carefully and completely as I'd like
to; I certainly don't have class time to spend on things the students
should bring to the course with them.

I think, especially of courses that carry college credit, that we should
be making it very clear that students are responsible for their own
review when review is needed. We'll help--but not in the classroom, and
not for any kind of credit. A calculus course is a calculus course--not
a precalculus course, and the time alloted to that calculus course's
meetings is sacred to calculus. Need help with the algebra? See me
outside of class time. Will it count toward your calculus grade? *No
way!*

--Lou Talman

Date Subject Author
10/4/98
Read Function Composition Question
Chris & Sheila King
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Betsy Thomas
CalcPage@aol.com
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Kleinschmidt Richard
huffhaus@earthlink.net
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Bob Ewell
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Emily Mines
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
John Graham
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Gail Duering
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Doug Kuhlmann
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Joseph L. Macaluso
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Arlon Georger
Nsfong@aol.com
TuomiLeny@aol.com
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Ted Bonsall
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Geoff Hagopian
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
irene.payne
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Lindawstes
KSO1972@aol.com
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Paul Bosley of Shaker Hts., Ohio
10/5/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Paul Fullbright
10/7/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Chris & Sheila King
10/7/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Bob Ewell
10/12/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Chris & Sheila King
10/13/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Chris & Sheila King
10/14/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Lou Talman
10/14/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
rex@rocknet.net.au
10/14/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
LnMcmullin@aol.com
10/14/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
huffhaus@earthlink.net
10/14/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
CalcPage@aol.com
10/15/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Charles Schwing
10/15/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Hank Le Page
10/19/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Chris & Sheila King
10/19/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Chris & Sheila King
10/19/98
Read Re: Function Composition Question
Chris & Sheila King
10/28/98
Read Reply to: "Function composition question"
Tracy Forsha