Topic: stop teaching shifting & stretching?
Replies: 14   Last Post: Oct 19, 1998 8:58 AM

Lou Talman

Re: stop teaching shifting & stretching?

Wayne Bishop wrote:

> At 01:54 PM 10/12/98 -0400, William J. Larson wrote:
> >Since my calculus students will have graphers, is it the
> >consensus that I should stop teaching my precalculus
> >students such tricks to aide graphing as shifting & stretching
> >functions and symmetry? I'd love to stop teaching this, because it
> >would free time for other "essential" topics, which I do not
> >get to.
> >
> >Bill Larson
> >Geneva

> If this message is tongue in cheek and I'm too naive to "get it", my
> apologies. Otherwise, it is a very scary message.

Wayne and I must both be slow. I don't get the joke either.

And I have to agree that if it isn't tongue in cheek, it's scary. (Wayne
and I don't disagree automatically and reflexively--ideas are involved.)
Bill's suggestion that we not teach shifting and stretching (which are
much more than "tricks to aide graphing"), if taken, would amount to
serious misuse of technology.

What Wayne and I do disagree about is the idea that technology can, and
should, be used *thoughtfully* at all levels. My reading of Wayne is
that he disagrees with the "can" part, and, a fortiori, with the
"should".

--Lou Talman