Topic: RE: Exponents: getting the value of x.
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Cindy Ravitsky

RE: Exponents: getting the value of x.

For exponential equations such as these, you can solve for x by taking
the log (common or natural) of both sides, then using a property of
logarithms to get the x out of the exponent. For example:

2^x = 16

log 2^x = log 16

x log 2 = log 16

x = log 2 / log 16

If you punch this into a calculator, it gives you 4.

This same technique can be used on 2^x = 15 to get

X = log 15/ log 2

X = 3.9069 (approximately)

This of course, requires use of a calculator or log tables.

Cindy