Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Jerry Uhl

[ap-calculus] Re: Math as Puzzle (Problem) Solving

At 8:16 AM -0400 5/15/00, Mikalac Norman S NSSC wrote this and more:
>i'd like more discussion of this response. if math (including Calculus)
>isn't used for problem (puzzle) solving, like other branches of logic, then
>what ARE the reasons for using it? art form? philosophy? "because it's
>there"?
>
>we engineers and scientists consider math JUST A TOOL to solve problems.
>true, in any math course one has to learn to progress to higher math (diff
>eqs, LaGrangian Dynamics, Networks, etc.) to solve more esoteric problems,
>but they all boil down to problem (puzzle) solving.

-----Not really. There is the puzzle solving aspect of math, but
there is also the gut level understanding of calculus ideas that take
root in the mind and provide the base for moving onward and upward.
Without this gut level understanding, engineers and scientists might
well chose the wrong math tool.

Jerry Uhl juhl@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Professor of Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Member, Mathematical Sciences Education Board of National Research
Council
Calculus&Mathematica, Vector Calculus&Mathematica,
DiffEq&Mathematica, Matrices,Geometry&Mathematica, NetMath

http://www-cm.math.uiuc.edu , http://netmath.math.uiuc.edu, and
http://matheverywhere.com

"Is it life, I ask, is it even prudence,
To bore thyself and bore the students?"

. . . Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

---
You are currently subscribed to ap-calculus as: ARCHIVE@FORUM.SWARTHMORE.EDU