Topic: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron)
Replies: 32   Last Post: Oct 26, 2007 11:12 AM

P. Taine

Re: Alien color vision

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:58:06 -0500, "pico" <pico.pico.net> wrote:

>"Peter Bruells" <usernet@rogue.de> wrote in message

>> Prisoner at War <prisoner_at_war@yahoo.com> writes:
>>

>>> On Oct 14, 7:14 am, Peter Bruells <user...@rogue.de> wrote:
>
>>> Well, now you're just playing with semantics.
>>
>> No. I don't. Even if an alien looks into a light source of a given
>> frequency, he will not see "red". What he will see will be dependent
>> on his eye, his visual cortex, his evolution and is cultural
>> upbringing.

>Nonsense. You are playing with words. It doesn't matter whatsoever what
>anyone calls the perception of light in the bandwidth we call "red" as long
>as it is discreet, not commingled with other radiation sensors. Humans bear
>all kinds of color misperceptions and generally agreed in practice on what
>they see, except perhaps for Purple and Violet.

Actually, there are a number of cultures that merge blue and green into one
color catagory. As far as I know, though, (with the exception of red/purple) no
one lumps two discrete hues, while seperating out those inbetween them.

P. Taine

Date Subject Author
10/3/07
Read Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron)
Prisoner at War
10/3/07
Read Alien math. (was Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron))
Andrzej Rosa
10/3/07
Read Re: Alien math. (was Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron))
Prisoner at War
10/3/07
Read Alien color vision
Gene Ward Smith
10/12/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
Prisoner at War
10/14/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
Peter Bruells
10/18/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
Prisoner at War
10/18/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
Peter Bruells
10/18/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
pico
10/18/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
P. Taine
10/18/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
pico
10/23/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
hagman
10/18/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
Andrew Plotkin
10/18/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
Prisoner at War
10/18/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
Gene Ward Smith
10/18/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
Prisoner at War
10/19/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
Chris Malcolm
10/18/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
howard@brazee.net
10/18/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
@less@ndro
10/19/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
pico
10/19/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
howard@brazee.net
10/26/07
Read Re: Alien color vision
jsavard@ecn.ab.ca
10/3/07
Read Re: Alien math. (was Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron))
Andrzej Rosa
10/4/07
Read Re: Alien math. (was Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron))
Prisoner at War
10/4/07
Read Re: Alien math. (was Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron))
Andrzej Rosa
10/5/07
Read Re: Alien math. (was Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron))
Prisoner at War
10/5/07
Read Re: Alien math. (was Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron))
Andrzej Rosa
10/4/07
Read Re: Alien math. (was Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron))
Errol
10/4/07
Read Re: Alien math. (was Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was
Another Synthol moron))
Tom Anderson
10/4/07
Read Re: Alien math. (was Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron))
Prisoner at War
10/4/07
Read Re: Another example of Schuh as moron (was Another Synthol moron)
David Bernier
10/4/07