Topic: matlab bash pipes
Replies: 12   Last Post: Oct 25, 2007 7:46 AM

David B. Chorlian

Re: matlab bash pipes

In <ffnhsk$n2l$1@fred.mathworks.com> "Steven Lord" <slord@mathworks.com> writes:

>"Michael Wild" <themiwi@student.ethz.ch> wrote in message

>> Claus wrote:

>*snip*

>> problem is, matlab does not care from where it has been started. also it
>> has no option to tell it to read from stdin. (hear that at TMW? that
>> would be a VERY nice feature...).

>I'm curious ... do you have a specific use case in mind where you'd probably
>use that feature if it existed?

Yes. We run a lot of scripts which invoke Matlab to process individual
files as part of a process which involves other programs. This makes
it unfeasible in general to write a Matlab script which loops over
files. The consequence is that there are many separate Matlab processes
created. If Matlab could read from a named pipe (fifo), as was suggested
by someone posting here a while ago, then only one Matlab process would need
to be created, and the appropriate commands could then be piped into the
fifo. At the present the commands are writen into files and then processed
by separate Matlab processes.

--
David B. Chorlian
Neurodynamics Lab SUNY/HSCB