Topic: Roadmap for self instruction
Replies: 4   Last Post: Dec 17, 2007 10:37 AM

Idgarad

Re: Roadmap for self instruction

On Dec 14, 11:23 am, galathaea <galath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 14, 6:49 am, Idgarad <idga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 13, 9:11 pm, hru...@odds.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) wrote:

> > > To understand that, you will need at least calculus,
> > > and Fourier transforms. Get through calculus first;
> > > you will need that to understand the normal distribution,
> > > which is used in deriving the methods.

> > > You are likely to have to build up to calculus.
>
> > > To really understand time series, considerably more
> > > is needed, including linear algebra, basic foundations
> > > of real analysis, and measure theory.

> > > "There is no royal road to geometry", or any other
> > > branch of mathematics.

> > > --
> > > This address is for information only. I do not claim that these views
> > > are those of the Statistics Department or of Purdue University.
> > > Herman Rubin, Department of Statistics, Purdue University
> > > hru...@stat.purdue.edu Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558- Hide quoted text -

> > Perhaps there is no royal road but in your opinion what order in study
> > would provide the best synergy as I move from topic to topic?

> > So that this point based on your suggestions:
>
> > Math Refresher (algebra,trig)
> > Pre-Calculus
> > Calculus (Calculus seems to be taught in chunks, differential,
> > integral, multi-variate, and vector and series)
> > Linear Algebra
> > Principals of Fourier Transforms
> > Analysis
> > Measure Theory

> > Where would Matrix mathmatics fit into this series? I assume somewhere
> > after Calculus but before Fourier transformations? Would it fall post
> > Linear Algebra based on required compentencies?

> matrix math is linear algebra

> galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar- Hide quoted text -

OK 2/3rd through Linear Algebra via Jim Hefferon's guide. Surviving ok
sans an instructor. Still have to refresh Trig to get my sin,cosin,etc
back in my noggin.

Anyone have suggestions on good pre-calc and calculus material?