Topic: Re: It Works for Me: An Exploration of 'Traditional Math'
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jan 21, 2008 10:55 AM

Fred Siegeltuch

Re: It Works for Me: An Exploration of 'Traditional Math'
att1.html (17.9 K)

Alan,

But what if you think of the square root function as a process? Then becoming familiar and comfortable with it is more than language. The issue then becomes is it being taught in such a way as to provide a richly connected context that it will be integrated with other knowledge.

Fred Siegeltuch

Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain@gmail.com> wrote: I am not sure I understand what's with "the meaning of […] square
root" and, in fact, I think that this raises an important distinction.

There is the real world and there is the language we use to represent
the real world.

Given the sentence

Jack is the brother of Jill

it alludes to a real-world situation and may or may not be true
depending on what the actual real-world relationship between the
individuals whose names are Jack and Jill is. The point here is that
we can allude to exactly the same situation with the dual sentence:

Jill is the sister of Jack

and both will be true or both will be false. Similarly,

the cat chases the mouse

and

the mouse is chased by the cat

allude to exactly the same real-world situation.

Again similarly,

9 is the square of 3 and 3 is the root of 9

or

12 is double of 6 and 6 is half of 12

allude to exactly the same real-world situations.

So:

1) The issue is a syntactic one, much related to the "passive voice"
and I think that the "meaning of square root" is no more to be
discovered than the meaning of "table" or "tree". While the
linguistic aspect of mathematics is crucial, this is absolutely not
specific to mathematics and common to any trade in which a
specialized language is required. And, indeed, this aspect is
completely ignored by mathematics teachers as well as English teachers.

2) This type of focus, such as on "the meaning of […] square root",
is detrimental to an organized understanding of the language.
Moreover, it reinforces in the students the belief that mathematics
in particular and sciences in general are just collections of facts
and topics.

Regards
--schremmer