The Math Forum

Topic: Pi appeal
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 19, 2008 10:13 AM

Don Cook

Re: Pi appeal
att1.html (1.8 K)

Dave,
1. Using Euclidian tools, can we construct these lines?
2.Without knowing, the Value of Pi, can we do such a thing.
Archimedes can construct the circumference of a circle to any degree
of accuracy,but does he measure it or only use it in ratios?
Peace, Don
On Feb 18, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Dave L. Renfro wrote:

> You need to use an unmarked
> straight edge, so there is no way to construct a line
> correct to the 9th decimal place of Pi.

because
one can certainly construct a line segment whose
length is within 10^(-9) of pi. In fact, there
is no positive lower bound on the set of differences
between pi and the lengths of constructible segments