Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:42:09 -0500 (EST)
To: numeracy-approval@world.std.com
From: David Rosen <DJRosen@theWorld.com>
Subject: Reminder: Formative Assessment in Adult Literacy Education: A Special Topics Discussion
Sender: numeracy-approval@world.std.com

Colleagues,

If you would like to participate in the online discussion to be held =20
the week of February 25th, beginning Monday, on Formative Assessment =20
in Adult Literacy Education, and if you haven't already done so, =20
please sign up now. To do so, go to

and follow the directions for subscribing. You will receive an email =20
asking if you do indeed want to subscribe. Reply immediately. You =20
can unsubscribe after the discussion by going to the same web page =20
or, if you prefer, you can stay subscribed for the next discussion, =20
Transition from Corrections to Community Education that will begin on =20=

March 17th.

David J. Rosen
Special Topics Discussion Moderator
djrosen@comcast.net

On Feb 20, 2008, at 10:59 AM, David Rosen wrote:

> [...]

> literacy by evaluating 15 diverse programs throughout New Zealand. =20
> They are about halfway through and should complete it late next =20
> year. To date they have interviewed about 250 learners and are just =20=

> starting to get their first post-program data. They expect to have =20
> data on about 500-600 learners when it is finished.
> John=92s PhD was an analysis of New Zealand as a learning society. In =20=

> addition to a "zillion" reports, he has edited a book on New =20
> Zealand adult education and two weeks ago, another one (with Alison =20=

> Sutton) on New Zealand adult literacy. He =93mainly works from home =20=

> in a study that looks out on to beautiful native bush, including a =20
> stream and lots of native birds=94. He says "It=92s summer here, so =20=

> life includes jaunts to the beach, enjoying family life, frustrated =20=

> attempts to lower a very average golf handicap and riding a =20
> motorbike to beat the Auckland traffic. My current project also =20
> includes a lot of travel round the country to interview people =96 a =20=

> duty that I am even paid to do=85"
>
> With John Comings, John Benseman did the formative assessment =20
> research in the U.S., sponsored in part by the National Institute =20
> for Literacy
>
> John Comings
> Dr. John Comings was director of the National Center forthe Study =20
> of Adult Learning and Literacy (NCSALL) during its 11 years of =20
> funding from the US Department of Education. He is currently Senior =20=

> Research Associate and lecturer at the Harvard Graduate School of =20
> Education and a consultant on adult education in the U.S. and other =20=

> countries. His research focuses on the impact of adult literacy =20
> programs and ways to support persistence of adult learners.
>
> John Vorhaus
> Dr John Vorhaus is Associate Director, Research, at the National =20
> Research and Development Centre in Adult Literacy and Numeracy =20
> (NRDC) at the Institute of Education. He is also Director of the =20
> Centre for Research on the Wider Benefits of Learning.
>
> John has directed numerous projects on adult literacy, language and =20=

> numeracy, many of these focused on teaching and learning practices, =20=

> and also on disadvantaged groups such as offenders, ethnic minority =20=

> groups and people who are not in education, training or employment.
>
> On-going research is taken up with persons with profound and =20
> multiple learning difficulties and disabilities; their political =20
> status, the question of whether and how they are shown respect, and =20=

> an examination of the teaching and learning practices best fitted =20
> to their needs and abilities.
>
> John has taught philosophy at the Universities of Bristol and =20
> London, and also in prison, adult and further education, and he =20
> continues to publish in the areas of political philosophy, =20
> philosophy of law and philosophy of education.

--Apple-Mail-2--82553286

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
would like to participate in the online discussion to be held the week =
of February 25th, beginning Monday, on=A0Formative Assessment in Adult =
Literacy Education, and if you haven't already done so, please sign up =
now. =A0To do so,=A0go to</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div><a =
href=3D"http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/specialtopics">http://www.nif=
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>and follow the directions =
for subscribing. You will receive an email asking if you do indeed want =
to subscribe. =A0Reply immediately. You can unsubscribe after the =
discussion by going to the same web page or, if you prefer, you can stay =
subscribed for the next discussion, <i>Transition from Corrections to =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>David J. =
2008, at 10:59 AM, David Rosen wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"> <div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div><div =
v class=3D"MsoNormal">Beginning on Monday, February 25th, the Special =
Topics list will hold a discussion on formative assessment, a set of =
classroom practices that substantial research in England has shown to =
positively affect elementary and secondary level student learning =
outcomes. Not a term widely known in the U.S., formative assessment =
refers to what teachers and learners do in the classroom to assess =
learning progress.=A0 An assessment is _formative_ when information =
gathered in the assessment process is used to modify teaching and =
learning activities.=A0 It's an assessment _for_ learning,=A0 not just =
class=3D"MsoNormal">A just-published study sponsored by the Organisation =
for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD),=A0Teaching, Learning =
and Assessment for Adults: Improving Foundation Skills=A0&lt; <a =
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/2dksn5">http://tinyurl.com/2dksn5</a> &gt; =
looks at formative assessment practices in adult foundation skills =
(basic skills) classes in several countries among which were the U.S. =
and England. We will have as our guests the researchers who did the =
studies in these two countries. OECD researchers=A0 who studied adult =
formative assessment practices in other countries may also participate =
class=3D"MsoNormal">In my opinion, not an unbiased one as I was an OECD =
researcher in this study of practices in Flanders Belgium, the study =
could have an important impact on adult literacy education practices in =
North America, and formative assessment could -- as has been shown in =
K-12 and higher education studies -- make an important difference for =
class=3D"MsoNormal">I hope you will join my esteemed guests for this =
class=3D"MsoNormal">To subscribe to the discussion, go to</div><div =
class=3D"MsoNormal"><a =
href=3D"http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/specialtopics">http://www.nif=
l.gov/mailman/listinfo/specialtopics</a> .</div><div =
class=3D"MsoNormal">You can unsubscribe after the discussion by going to =
the same web page or, if you prefer, you can stay subscribed for the =
next discussion, Transition from Corrections to Community =
class=3D"MsoNormal">Formative Assessment Guest Experts</div><div =
class=3D"MsoNormal">=A0</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">Janet =
Looney</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">Janet Looney is the project leader =
of the Centre for Educational Research and Innovation program known as =
What Works in Innovation in Education. Since 2002 its focus has been on =
formative assessment.=A0 Between 2002 and 2004, the What Works program =
explored formative assessment in lower secondary classrooms in eight =
international systems. [See Formative Assessment: Improving Learning in =
Secondary Classrooms (2005)].=A0 OECD has just published the second =
study addressing formative assessment for adult basic skill learners, =
whose web page was provided above.</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">Earlier =
in her career Janet taught ESOL in Japan for over two years, and=A0 at =
v class=3D"MsoNormal">John Benseman</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">John =
Benseman has been involved in adult education and literacy for over 30 =
years working as a practitioner and program administrator, but mainly as =
a researcher and evaluator. He started his working life as a primary =
(elementary) school teacher, but =93became disillusioned with the task =
of constantly trying to motivate reluctant learners and became much more =
interested in working with adults who were much more motivated=94. After =
a year of studying adult education in Sweden, he worked in continuing =
medical education, followed by seven years of running a community-based =
adult education organization and a similar period of self-employment as =
a researcher. After 12 years of teaching adult education at the =
University of Auckland, he moved last year to the Department of Labour =
to run a national workplace literacy project. The aim of this project is =
to identify best practice in workplace literacy by evaluating 15 diverse =
programs throughout New Zealand. They are about halfway through and =
should complete it late next year. To date they have interviewed about =
250 learners and are just starting to get their first post-program data. =
They expect to have data on about 500-600 learners when it is =
finished.</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">John=92s PhD was an analysis of =
New Zealand as a learning society. In addition to a "zillion" reports, =
he has edited a book on New Zealand adult education and two weeks ago, =
another one (with Alison Sutton) on New Zealand adult literacy. He =
=93mainly works from home in a study that looks out on to beautiful =
native bush, including a stream and lots of native birds=94. He says =
"It=92s summer here, so life includes jaunts to the beach, enjoying =
family life, frustrated attempts to lower a very average golf handicap =
and riding a motorbike to beat the Auckland traffic. My current project =
also includes a lot of travel round the country to interview people =96 =
a duty that I am even paid to do=85"</div><div =
class=3D"MsoNormal">=A0</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">With John Comings, =
John Benseman did the formative assessment research in the U.S., =
sponsored in part by the National Institute for Literacy</div><div =
class=3D"MsoNormal">=A0</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">John =
Comings</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">Dr. John Comings was director of =
the National Center forthe Study of Adult Learning and Literacy (NCSALL) =
during its 11 years of funding from the US Department of Education. He =
is currently Senior Research Associate and lecturer at the Harvard =
Graduate School of Education and a consultant on adult education in the =
U.S. and other countries. His research focuses on the impact of adult =
literacy programs and ways to support persistence of adult =
class=3D"MsoNormal">John Vorhaus</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">Dr John =
Vorhaus is Associate Director, Research, at the National Research and =
Development Centre in Adult Literacy and Numeracy (NRDC) at the =
Institute of Education. He is also Director of the Centre for Research =
on the Wider Benefits of Learning.=A0</div><div =
class=3D"MsoNormal">=A0</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">John has directed =
numerous projects on adult literacy, language and numeracy, many of =
these focused on teaching and learning practices, and also on =
disadvantaged groups such as offenders, ethnic minority groups and =
people who are not in education, training or employment.</div><div =
class=3D"MsoNormal">=A0</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">On-going research =
is taken up with persons with profound and multiple learning =
difficulties and disabilities; their political status, the question of =
whether and how they are shown respect, and an examination of the =
teaching and learning practices best fitted to their needs and =
class=3D"MsoNormal">John has taught philosophy at the Universities of =
Bristol and London, and also in prison, adult and further education, and =
he continues to publish in the areas of political philosophy, philosophy =
of law and philosophy of education.</div><div =
class=3D"MsoNormal">=A0</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">David J. =
Rosen</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal">Special Topics Discussion =
Moderator</div><div class=3D"MsoNormal"><a =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><div><br =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></div><br =

--Apple-Mail-2--82553286--

-If you have any questions e-mail edl@world.std.com