Sender: numeracy-approval@world.std.com

Esther D. Leonelli <edl@world.std.com>

Moderator, Numeracy List <numeracy@world.std.com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 06:06:51 -0600
From: Kathie Daviau <daviaus@bresnan.net>
To: numeracy-approval@world.std.com
Subject: Re: ER&D

ER&D stands for Educational Research and Dissemination. AFT has put
together a program of professional development based on level 3 research
taught by current practitioners.

In math, the classes are Thinking Math 1, Thinking Math 2, Thinking Math
3, Thinking Math for Middle School, and Thinking Math for Algebra. The
instructors are teachers in the classroom and have completed rigorous
national training. Then they go back to their local school and train
other teachers.

Thinking Math 1 has Ten Principles of teaching math, which really apply
to teaching math at all levels to all students. They cover using
multiple strategies, using manipulatives, connecting the concrete to the
abstract, have the student describe and justify their answer, etc.

Of course, as all adult educators, we often receive training that doesn't
deal directly with adults; however, this program promotes learning with
all types of classrooms and students. I have taught adults for over 30
years and this is the best class I have ever taken. Being sponsored by
AFT often means the cost for this professional development is
reasonable. The accountability required for adult education programs
makes this class a perfect fit.

Kathie Daviau
Billings, Montana

Can you help? A list member asked me:
Sender: numeracy-approval@world.std.com

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:16:21 EDT
From: Kathie Daviau <discussions@mathforum.org>

Has anyone been trained in the ER&D Thinking Math programs? If so, how have
you implemented the Ten Principles into your classroom? Have you seen an
advantage using the TM methods?

Kathie
Billings, MT

-If you have any questions e-mail edl@world.std.com