Topic: IA #36
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jun 18, 2008 11:56 AM

jmahoney@pvcsd.org

Re: IA #36
att1.html (10.8 K)

Regardless of what a text says, we should be following the NYS
glossary. Here is how the state wants us to define a root, as copied
from the HS glossary:

root of an equation (A) (A2T) A solution to an equation of the
form f(x) = 0.

Example: A root of the equation y = 6x ? 18 is 3 because when 3 is
substituted in for x, the value of y = 0.
Example: The roots of are and. The equation is true if we
substitute either or into the equation

Joe Mahoney
Teacher of Mathematics
Putnam Valley HS