The Math Forum

Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Alice Elstien

[ap-calculus] What to do after exams

I am new to teaching high school Calculus, but have done this with all my
students after exams in early May in previous years.

We get into groups, each group chooses a course standard so all topics
are included, and they write a story to teach it to others. Students have
written plays or poems too. Then we put them together in booklet form,
publish a booklet for each student, and present our work to each other
near the end of the year. One year we wrote in newspaper format. Another
year, the stories were all science fiction with the same hero/heroine, and
one time we used powerpoint and copied CD's for each student. They pick
their format as a whole class.

Students usually treat these books as a yearbook, and sign each other's
copies. It really increases cameraderie too!

I feel good that they have a review of the entire course to take with them
for next year.

This year, since I have seniors, we are going to include a calendar of
classmates' birthdays and their addresses. It might help overcome
loneliness those first weeks away from home.

To update your preferences, search the archives or post messages online, visit http://lyris.collegeboard.com/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?site=collegeboard&enter=ap-calculus

If you need help using Lyris web interface go to:
http://www.lyris.com/lm_help/4.0/WebInterfaceforUsers.html

Visit AP Central(tm) - The online resource for teachers, schools, colleges, and education professionals-- http://apcentral.collegeboard.com

The College Board
45 Columbus Avenue