Topic: how does .9999999=1???
Replies: 19   Last Post: Jan 1, 2011 2:43 AM

Wasell

Re: proof for .9999999=1

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 08:14:02 EST, in article
<1383820098.60421.1293369272072.JavaMail.root@gallium.mathforum.org>,
jay kirschbaum wrote:

> This discussion is pretty old but I am looking for more proofs beyond the convincing one I learned in high school -
>
> If .333333.... = 1/3
> and .333333.... x 3 = .9999999......
> and 1/3 X 3 = 1
> then .99999..... = 1

For a general discussion and a few informal proofs, see:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...>

For an indisputable formal proof, see:
<http://us.metamath.org/mpegif/0.999....html>

--
Wasell

"You're at the bottom of the class. Lots of verbiage but the
mathematics escapes you." -- James S. Harris