Topic: what's adequate calculus preparation - a survey for pre-calculus & calculus
Replies: 5   Last Post: Dec 12, 2008 9:26 PM

Seese, Lillian

RE: what's adequate calculus preparation - a survey for pre-calculus & calculus

Have you considered presenting your findings at the RUME comference? (Research on Undergraduate Mathematics Education)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-mathedcc@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-mathedcc@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of ks2470@columbia.edu
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 1:15 PM
To: mathedcc@mathforum.org
Subject: what's adequate calculus preparation - a survey for pre-calculus & calculus

Hi,
My name is Kostas Stroumbakis and I am a doctoral student at Teacher's
College, Columbia University. For my dissertation, I want to compare
views on what makes adequate preparation for the first college-level
calculus course. To this end, I have developed three online surveys
in which I ask participants to rate various pre-calculus topics on
their importance, as prerequisites, for success in calculus.

If you teach, or have taught recently, (1) Pre-Calculus (postsecondary),
(2) Calculus I (postsecondary), or (3) Pre-Calculus (high school) I
would really appreciate it if you took a few minutes to complete my
survey. It will take about 15 minutes. Please follow the
corresponding link below.

Also, if you can help to snowball this or suggest other venues for
reaching qualified participants, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Kostas Stroumbakis
ks2470@columbia.edu

1) College Pre-Calculus
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=ezpB3jmwybSDmnNJVz4PpQ_3d_3d

2) College Calculus I (the standard course)
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=VIRqAOphQ9gGVgRAYgpgzQ_3d_3d

3) High School Pre-Calculus
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Gd63WE3spu9MkFfbPnSEQg_3d_3d

PS I have posted a similar request to other groups to which you might
belong. I apologize if I am cluttering your inbox.