Topic: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Replies: 302   Last Post: Mar 28, 2009 1:09 PM

Nat Silver

Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem

David Fabian wrote:

> Pure mathematics is just a hobby for me (so I do not need to publish, gain
> recognition, and obtain research grants or a job). But I am still not
> convinced that it is impossible for a hobbyist to make money.

It's close to impossible.

> I have already gained a reputation in my profession (software develop-
> ment) and already have a good-paying job. However, research grants are
> totally out of the question, because I am self-taught and do not have the
> time or inclination to obtain the required college degree (i.e. research
> grants are awarded by and for academia).
>
> By the way, here are two papers that *others* have published about my
> work:
> http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/0803.1245
> http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1987SPIE..755..114C

The papers are irrelevant to your claim. Moreover, one of the papers you
cite
is close to 30 years old. It all adds up to you being a crank and getting
crankier.

Date Subject Author
1/3/09
Read Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Gareth Erskine-Jones
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Eric Sosman
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
mike3
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Gareth Erskine-Jones
1/7/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Dik T. Winter
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David R Tribble
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Mike Williams
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Joe Celko
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Bernier
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Robert Israel
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Bernier
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David R Tribble
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
mensanator
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Angus Rodgers
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Denis Feldmann
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Angus Rodgers
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Denis Feldmann
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
amy666
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
quasi
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
mensanator
2/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Zurikela
2/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Nick Wedd
2/6/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Zurikela
2/6/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Zurikela
2/6/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
hagman
2/7/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Zurikela
2/7/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
hagman
2/7/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Roman B. Binder
2/7/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
W. Dale Hall
2/8/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Zurikela
2/9/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Roman B. Binder
3/2/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Zurikela
3/2/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Prai Jei
3/2/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Mike Williams
3/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Ed Murphy
3/28/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Mark Tilford
3/2/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
galathaea
3/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Zurikela
3/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Roman B. Binder
3/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Zurikela
3/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Roman B. Binder
3/11/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
hagman
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
A N Niel
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Gareth Erskine-Jones
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Jasen Betts
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Han de Bruijn
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
CBFalconer
1/7/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Dik T. Winter
1/7/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Gareth Erskine-Jones
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
hagman
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Gareth Erskine-Jones
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Richard Heathfield
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Gareth Erskine-Jones
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Tim Smith
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
G. A. Edgar
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Tim Smith
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
quasi
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Angus Rodgers
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Gareth Erskine-Jones
1/6/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Jasen Betts
1/6/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Matthew Russotto
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
riderofgiraffes
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
mensanator
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
CBFalconer
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Matthew Russotto
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Gareth Erskine-Jones
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Tim Smith
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
mensanator
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Don Del Grande
[...]
PianoMan
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Steve Fry
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Carl G.
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Brian Q. Hutchings
[...]
Aatu Koskensilta
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Denis Feldmann
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Kevin Stone
matt271829-news@yahoo.co.uk
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Bill Dubuque
1/3/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Christopher J. Henrich
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Nat Silver
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
mike3
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
G. A. Edgar
2/2/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
mike3
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
MTBrenneman@gmail.com
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
mike3
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Mark Galeck
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Phuong Tri Nguyen
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Achava Nakhash, the Loving Snake
1/4/09
[...]
Nick
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
hagman
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Nick Wedd
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
quasi
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Phil Carmody
1/10/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/10/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Brian Chandler
1/10/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/10/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Tim Smith
1/10/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
quasi
1/10/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Pumpledumplekins@gmail.com
1/10/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Bill Dubuque
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Tim Smith
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
MTBrenneman@gmail.com
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Dave L. Renfro
1/6/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/6/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
quasi
1/7/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/7/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
quasi
1/11/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
amy666
1/11/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/7/09
Read elegant 19th-century progress towards understanding fermat's last
theorem
galathaea
1/7/09
Read Re: elegant 19th-century progress towards understanding fermat's
last theorem
David Bernier
1/8/09
Read Re: elegant 19th-century progress towards understanding fermat's last
theorem
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/8/09
Read Re: elegant 19th-century progress towards understanding fermat's last
theorem
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/7/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
1/7/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Mariano
1/7/09
[...]
1/9/09
[...]
Patrick Hamlyn
1/9/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Alan Morgan
1/9/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Angus Rodgers
1/9/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
1/10/09
[...]
1/12/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Michael Press
1/12/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
quasi
1/12/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
quasi
1/12/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
quasi
1/13/09
[...]
Dave Seaman
1/11/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Tim Smith
1/10/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
dgates
1/10/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Tim Smith
1/11/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
dgates
1/11/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
donstockbauer@hotmail.com
1/11/09
[...]
Simon Tatham
1/5/09
[...]
Read Re: zero knowledge protocols.
Michael Press
[...]
11203301@2003.cug.edu.cn
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
anonymous.rubbertube@yahoo.com
1/5/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
David Fabian
1/11/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Roman B. Binder
1/11/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Zachary Turner
1/11/09
[...]
daniel t
1/12/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Zachary Turner
1/12/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/12/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Roman B. Binder
1/12/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Michael Press
2/2/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
mike3
2/2/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Gareth Erskine-Jones
2/4/09
Read Re: Elegant 17th-Century Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem
Brett
2/6/09