Topic: IKE FUNDS AT RISK
Replies: 5   Last Post: Sep 16, 1997 9:21 AM

Tad Watanabe

Re: IKE FUNDS AT RISK

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Bob & Sarah Hazen wrote:

> Purely a philosophical/moral question about Ike funds:
>
> Professional interests aside for the moment, thinking solely on
> principle only, how does the clamor for the continued support of Ike
> funds differ in any substantial way from simply saying, "We insist that
> the U.S. taxpayers keep feeding us teachers at the public trough with
> money from taxpayers' pockets"?

I think the fact that you see IKE fund as a 'public trough' whose only/main
function is to feed teachers seem to be rather biased. Perhaps the
writer(s) participated in (or ran) those teacher workshops funded by the IKE
only to supplement his/her/their income, but I don't know if that's the
problem of the program or the participants.

Second, I don't know why making the same amount available as a block
grant to states make any difference. As I understand it, states do not
even have to spend the money on any education related items. As it is
now, isn't each state deciding *how* the money is to be spent within a
certain set of parameters? I don't know how such an approach (block
grant) is going to help education locally or nationally.

Tad Watanabe
Towson University
Towson, Maryland