Topic: Log[x]//TraditionalForm
Replies: 29   Last Post: Feb 16, 2009 4:39 PM

talmanl@mscd.edu

Re: Log[x]//TraditionalForm

On Feb 9, 2009, at 3:32 AM, peter wrote:

> not being a very advanced person myself, and only being an engineer, I
> have to admit to thinking that ln was the correct name for natural
> log. Thank god I've been put right on this.

The notational distinction between "ln" and "log" makes sense for
engineers who must use both natural logarithms and common
logarithms. But in advanced mathematics there is only one logarithm.

--Lou Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

<http://clem.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>