Topic: question about simplify function
Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 28, 2009 6:43 AM

talmanl@mscd.edu

Re: question about simplify function

On Feb 27, 2009, at 4:17 AM, zxcv_890@hotmail.com wrote:

> This seems like a basic question, but I can't see the answer: Why
> doesn't either the Simplify or FullSimplify function transform the
> expression x/(xy) into 1/y? When I substitute a specific value in for
> x, the simplification occurs as expected, e.g., 4/(4y) transforms
> to 1/
> y. Puzzling.

Both Simplify and FullSimplify work for me. Did you remember the
space between the "x" and the "y", or did you enter "xy" with no space?

--Lou Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

<http://clem.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>