Topic: differences between mupad and mathematica syntax?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Mar 26, 2009 8:29 AM

Comer

Re: differences between mupad and mathematica syntax?

Alan Weiss <aweiss@mathworks.com> wrote in message <gpr9d8$68l$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> I don't know the answer to your question, but I can give you some
> pointers. MuPAD syntax is similar to Maple syntax. You can see the
> differences here:
> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/symbolic/brs6__6.html#brs7abj-1
> So, if you know Mathematica syntax, you should be able to figure out the
> differences pretty readily.
>
> You can also look at MuPAD documentation here:
> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/mupad/index.html
>
> Alan Weiss
> MATLAB mathematical toolbox documentation
>
> Comer wrote:

> > I am considering purchasing the Symbolic Math Toolbox, which is now based on the MuPad engine. I have some symbolic computations to perform which have in the past been done on a site where I had access to Mathematica. Now that I don't have it on my system I am wondering what can be stated or where there are pointers to some account of the syntax differences between Mma and MuPad? I ask because I am not very enthused at the task of doing major translations between Mma code which did work and MuPad code. Basically I have never used MuPad. Before I invest in the Symbolic Math Toolbox I would like to have some feedback from those in the know about differences between the two.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Comer

Alan,

Thanks very much for the response. It does answer some questions. However, I probably should have emphasized my use of tensor calculus in my research. From what I can see in the MuPad docs, there does not seem to be any mention of support in MuPad for tensor algebra, while Mma and Maxima do have such support. Is my impression correct? If so, are there sources for contributed package add-ons which I might consult?

Thanks.

Comer