Topic: Re:
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Ed Wall

Re:

According to a young woman I met who wanted to become a nurse: She was accepted
at my college and because our placement test had take what we call a math
workshop. It is, perhaps, if you have had a strong first year algebra course,
developmental. If she makes it through (which is not always the case, this
young woman failed the first time (and she did do first year algebra)), then
she can take the equivalent of a first year algebra course and then
pre-calculus (where all engineering students must, at least, place). Then is
first year calculus. At least, first year calculus seems to required for all
those who go into nursing. Whether this is typical, I don't know.

In any case, if she hasn't had first year algebra, it is very unlikely that she
could brush up enough to test out of this workshop.

Ed Wall

On Mar 26, 2009, at 10:05 AM, numeracy-approval@world.std.com wrote:

> [...]

>>> for all students. They plan to publish a report on the effects of the