Topic: cell mode execution
Replies: 11   Last Post: Apr 2, 2013 12:00 PM

Alan

Re: cell mode execution

"Steven_Lord" <slord@mathworks.com> wrote in message <kjes7l$6eu$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> "Alan B" <monguin61REM@OVETHIS.yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > anyone <jaup@h/WSWLG{nR1qHe> wrote in message
> > <514dfcd0$0$13514$c3e8da3$dd9697d2@news.astraweb.com>...

> >> so... you'd prefer it was silent, or were hoping Matlab would simply
> >> re-code itself in some way?

> The way MATLAB executes code when you evaluate on a cell-by-cell basis is
> slightly different from the regular way MATLAB functions or scripts run and
> that difference makes doing what you request a little trickier than you
> might expect.
>

> >> See: Help -> breakpoint
>
> Good suggestion anyone, but it won't work in this particular case. Running
> individual code sections ignores breakpoints.
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/run-sections-of-programs.html

> It would be great. But the cell execution mechanism is currently not able to
> do so.
>
> Some workarounds you can use right now:
>
> 1) Select the first half of the code in the cell and right-click. Evaluate
> that selection. If the error occurs, the problem is in the first half of
> your cell's code; if not, it's in the second half. Repeat this binary search
> until you've located the error.
> 2) Break your 200 line cell into smaller cells. The less code you have to
> look through to isolate the issue, the easier it will be to locate.
> 3) Run your code normally (not cell-by-cell) with breakpoints as anyone
> suggested, locate the issue, fix it, then return to your workflow of
> executing cell-by-cell.
>

> >> damned computers, eh? ...always trying to do what you say, not what you
> >> mean.
> >>

> > It seems a reasonable request, considering that A) the machine CAN do it
> > for us, in the context of a function, and B) it was "on the radar" as of
> > four years ago.

> It is still on the radar. It has not come in for a landing yet as of the
> current release R2013a.
>
> --
> Steve Lord
> slord@mathworks.com
> http://www.mathworks.com

Thank you, Steve. I appreciate the explanation, and I understand that implementing it is not trivial. I do not appreciate being treated like an ignorant child by 'anyone', for making a reasonable feature request for software that I pay for.