Topic: Mathematically Correct, Hoover Institution, the Media
Replies: 12   Last Post: Jun 8, 2000 8:32 PM

by way of Gene Klotz

Re: Mathematically Correct, Hoover Institution, the Media

Hello,

Re < Christian Science Monitor, which is running a series of anti-reform
math stories,

Have you read all the stories in the Christian Science Monitor series? If
so, do you really think they all are one-sided?

Patsy
Patsy Wang-Iverson
Mid-Atlantic Eisenhower Consortium (http://www.rbs.org/eisenhower)
Research for Better Schools
444 N. Third Street
Philadelphia, PA 19123-4107
vox: 215.574.9300 x264
fax: 215.574.0133
net: wang@rbs.org

"Greg Goodknight"
<good@nccn.net> To: "NCSM listserv" <ncsm@services-b.terc.edu>,
Sent by: <amte@esunix.emporia.edu>
owner-amte@esunix.e cc:
mporia.edu Subject: Re: Mathematically Correct, Hoover Institution, the
Media

06/06/00 04:44 PM
Please respond to
amte

From: Eric Hart <ehart@mum.edu>
>Regarding the post below about Mathematically Correct, the Hoover
>Institution, and the media, it's interesting to note that:
>-- Bill Evers, co-author with Jim Milgram of a recent article in Education
>Week and co-founder of HOLD and Mathematically Correct, is a Fellow at the
>Hoover Institution.
>-- Reporters from the Christian Science Monitor, which is running a series
>of anti-reform math stories, recently participated in the Media Fellows
>Program at the Hoover Institution.
>Eric

Eric Hart of Core-Plus is to be commended for pointing this out. Any
reporter who actually listens to a presentation from the Hoover Institution
should be suspected as should their employer, since they might actually
consider an alternative point of view while writing their story. I hope the
Christian Science Monitor will only consult sources recommended by the NCTM
or the NSF in the future. After all, proper credentials are important, as
is
purity of thought.

Also, I've not seen Evers mentioned before as being a co-founder of
Mathematically Correct.

-Greg Goodknight, Nevada City, California
Known sarcast and Mathematically Correct sympathizer

>At 12:24 PM -0500 6/3/00, Jerry Becker wrote:

>>***********************************
>> From the Winter 2000 Newsletter of the Hoover Institution, Stanford
>>University. See
>>http://www-hoover.stanford.edu/pubaffairs/newsletter/00winter/media.html
>>***********************************
>>
>>NEW MEDIA FELLOWS VISIT HOOVER
>>
>>Reporters and editors representing the Wall Street Journal, Washington
>>Post, Christian Science Monitor, and other news organizations are among
>>those participating in the Hoover Institution's Media Fellows Program
>>during the winter and spring.
>>
>>Claudia Rosett of the Wall Street Journal's editorial board came to the
>>Institution in late January, and James Glassman, business columnist with
>>the Washington Post, made a return visit in early February. Barron's
>>editorial-page editor Tom Donlan and National Journal correspondent Burt
>>Solomon were in residence in the middle of the month.
>>
>>Policy Review editor Tod Lindberg will renew his media fellowship in

early
>>March, and later in the month Foreign Affairs managing editor Fareed
>>Zakaria will be in residence for the first time. April will bring Houston
>>Chronicle Washington bureau chief Cragg Hines, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
>>Washington bureau news correspondent Ron Hutcheson, and Dave McConnell,

the
>>Capitol Hill reporter with radio station WTOP in Washington, D.C.
>>
>>Those scheduled to visit in May include Christian Science Monitor

education
>>staff writer Gail Chaddock, Dallas Morning News Washington bureau
>>correspondent Robert Hillman, and Washington Times editorial-page editor
>>Helle Bering.
>>
>>The Media Fellows Program, coordinated by associate director Thomas
>>Henriksen, allows media professionals to exchange opinions and

information