Topic: Re: Time for Moderation
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu

Re: Time for Moderation

Wayne Bishop wrote:

> In rank order: ERB CTP-III, ITBS, CTBS (prior to Terra Nova), SAT-7
> (if I recall correctly), CAT-5, SAT-9, Terra Nova and mostly with
> little to no evidence to support my preference order. But any of them
> will work to show that if you teach reading, kids will learn to read.
> If you teach mathematics, kids will learn to do mathematics. If you
> teach science, kids will learn science, and history, and geography,
> etc.

Hidden in the "etc." is one that puts it all at question, right, Wayne?
If you teach taking tests, kids will learn to take tests. And the
standardized tests will suggest, falsely, that the kids know reading,
and mathematics, and science, and history, and geography. You've
mentioned the effect yourself, though I can't see why it doesn't bother
you. When a new test is introduced, scores go down. As the district
becomes more and more familiar with the test, the scores go up. But
then when a new test is introduced, they go back down again. This is
prima facie evidence that they learn to take the test--not the content
the test allegedly covers.

--Lou Talman