Topic: Re: Time for Moderation
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 30, 2000 9:43 PM

me@talmanl1.mscd.edu

Re: Time for Moderation

Wayne Bishop wrote:

> At 04:10 PM 7/29/00 -0700, Rebecca wrote:
>

> >I'm not sure what you mean by committed districts or those getting with the
> >standards (as if you could possibly know what goes on in all 1,000
> >districts).

> Roughly the same way we tell if some lady is or is not pregnant, does
> or does not have cancer; etc.; look at the test results.

The main difference being, of course, that a pregnancy test or a cancer
test has been scientifically validated: We know exactly what it
measures, how it measures what it measures, and why what it measures
supports the conclusions we draw from it. We know these things
objectively. Moreover, we know what kinds of errors the tests make and
how to compensate for them. None of these things can be said of the
test results we obtain in education.

> >Moreover, every one knows the standards don't match the
> >SAT-9 in the first place.

> Not everyone, at least if you take a semi-liberal interpretation of
> what it means to match. I know they match. Nancy Ichinaga of
> Bennett-Kew fame, and now of the SBE, knows they match.

Here we go again. Wayne, who *knows*, may "take a semi-liberal
interpretation" of meaning. Not so for those who don't agree with him.
Must be because they don't *know*. After all, if they did, they'd agree
with him.

> Forgive them. They know not what they do.

A neat rhetorical trick, Wayne. Does it make you feel like a savior?

--Lou Talman