Topic: Re: Time for Moderation
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jul 31, 2000 10:28 PM

CJ Masenas

Re: Time for Moderation

--- Lou Talman (me@talmanl1.mscd.edu) wrote:
> The main difference being, of course, that a
> pregnancy test or a cancer
> test has been scientifically validated: We know
> exactly what it
> measures, how it measures what it measures, and why
> what it measures
> supports the conclusions we draw from it. We know
> these things
> objectively. Moreover, we know what kinds of errors
> the tests make and
> how to compensate for them. None of these things
> can be said of the
> test results we obtain in education.
> --Lou Talman

1. Without looking back, the test result Lou is
talking
about is:
a) GPA
b) SAT
c) GRE
d) GED
e) some other TLA (three letter acronym)

2. The point Lou is making is:
a) an A is indistinguishable from a D because neither
can be scientifically validated
b) we need a ministry of grading for validation of
all tests
c) any grade he has ever given out is in error
d) he has never passed a pregnancy test
e) if Wayne says north then Lou must argue south
regardless of the absurdity

Look for official answers in tomorrow's email.

http://invites.yahoo.com/