Topic: Re: Time for Moderation
Replies: 4   Last Post: Aug 1, 2000 11:05 AM

RayM

Re: Time for Moderation

All those acronyms remind me of a discussion I had once about FDA GMP (the
Food and Drug Administrations 'Good Manufacturing Practice'). I had
suggested that it was appropriate for many non-medical businesses. I got
a lot of disagreement until I asked who was advocating bad manufacturing
practice. The connection here is that most non-standardized measures
suffer from all of the ills attributed to standardized test plus many more.
If I'm looking at a portfolio from Kansas, how do I know if an essay was
the product of 6 months, if it was a group project, if it was the 10th
revision, if assistance (human?, spell checker?, grammar checker?) was
provided during its preparation, etc. But more fundamentally how do I
compare it against an essay from Nebraska? The SAT may not be an optimal
measure but at least it is standard: it is a basis for comparison like the
ISO, IEC, ASTM, and EN standards.