Topic: Re: Time for Moderation
Replies: 6   Last Post: Aug 3, 2000 3:59 PM

CJ Masenas

Re: Time for Moderation

--- Lou Talman me@talmanl1.mscd.edu wrote:
> Rational people can provide evidence for the
> validity of their measuremnts.
> Where is it, Wayne? Not claims. Not smoke and
> mirrors. *Evidence*.
> You are the one making the claims, and yours is the
> burden of proof. I
> suggest that you read Sacks, if only so that you
> will know what you are
> up against. He argues too much by anecdote, but he
> also presents
> convincing evidence. You present *none*.
> --Lou Talman

I know if God had wanted us to be concise he wouldn't
have given us educators but maybe you can try anyway,
Lou. What is your point?

You think no accountability, no measurement for
educational reform experiments is better than the
best measurement tools at the time?

What are the best educational measurement tools?
Do you think it is High School grade point average
(correlation .36 with college freshman GPA)? I
know you don't like the SAT (correlation .35 with
freshman GPA, these numbers from "Predictions of
Freshman Grade-Point Average From the Revised and
Recentered SAT I: Reasoning Test" Brent Bridgeman,
Laura Camley-Jenkins, and Nancy Ervin, ETS No. 00-1).

Do you like GPA as a measure of future productivity
for REAL life productivity? Here is your chance
to be constructive. Tell us what YOU like for
measurement tools (or is your choice NO measurements).

Charlie

http://invites.yahoo.com/