Topic: Eisenhower Clearinghouse
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Wayne Bishop

Eisenhower Clearinghouse

The following is a response that I just posted to another education listserve.
Seems appropriate here as well.

Wayne.

This is a good suggestion but do make sure that any information that you get
from this organization about math and science teaching materials, innovative
ideas, and professional development is first run through your personal reality
filter. Although they deny having had any more involvement than the statement
indicates, and although they may even be correct in this disclaimer, the only
words inside the back cover of the U.S. Department of Education's Mathematics
and Science Expert Panel's report on Exemplary and Promising Mathematics
Programs are, "Layout and Production assistance by the Eisenhower National
Clearinghouse for Mathematics and Science Education."

I accessed the site and some references are reasonable but ...

Successful Programs

Connected Mathematics Program
Delaware Teacher Enhancement Partnership*
Professional Development Initiative
QUASAR
Teaching to the Big Ideas: Developing Mathematical Ideas
Wilton, Connecticut, School District
Woodrow Wilson Elementary School, Manhattan, Kansas

Some of these are meaningless without some local information so I accessed *
and among other things:

"Graphing calculators and computer technology (Strategy 14, Technology for
Professional Development) were used as catalysts to change both how mathematics
is taught and what mathematics is taught. Teachers worked in groups, reflected
on problem-solving strategies and the new mathematics involved, formalized the
mathematics, and developed related lessons appropriate for their grade levels."

Some I already knew about. Connected Mathematics Program was submitted to
California for the 1999 adoption cycle and was rejected. QUASAR is another
interesting one. It's the program/approach that killed eighth grade algebra at
Spurgeon Intermediate in the Santa Ana district while the president of the NCTM
at the time was praising its success at that very school to the nation's
teachers in his 1995 annual presidential address to the NCTM. Again, use your
natural fantasy filter.

The clincher ... I noticed a link to various state standards and frameworks
for math and science:
http://enc.org/professional/standards/state/

Guess which state has no link to either its framework or its standards let
alone the Fordham Foundation's assessment of its standards (with California
being #1) that is available at http://www.edexcellence.net/standards/math.html?

Your federal tax dollars at work.

Wayne.