Topic: 5th graders create advertisements on computers
Replies: 16   Last Post: Aug 7, 2000 12:54 AM

Wayne Bishop

5th graders create advertisements on computers

Another one to be shared from another list.

Wayne.

Relevant to such nonsense is the article by Jube Shiver, "Alliance Fights Boost
in Visas for Tech Workers", on P. 1 of Sec. C of the LA Times today. The
article starts with a map of the world with the caption, " Where the U.S. is
Getting High-Tech Help", indicating more than 60% from India (46%!), China, the
Philippines, and Pakistan. These countries are not known for their mock
businesses on the web in fifth grade. In fifth grade, work on fifth grade
material, as Yale computer science professor David Gelernter put it a couple of
years ago, "Learn first. Surf later."

The gist of the LA Times article is an alliance of the Urban League,
historically black colleges, and others to "to head off an industry proposal to
nearly double the number of visas for foreign workers to 200,000 a year."
Their solution is that, "A better idea would be to actively recruit and hire
talent right here at home."

Of course it is. But they have to be educated first and we're still playing
these kinds of games instead. The kids at Moreland Discovery and Leland High
School will be OK in spite of the schools' silliness, they're both API 10, less
than 5% LEP, less than 10% low-SES, almost no emergency credentialed teachers,
etc., affluence and academic performance correlate in our discriminatory
educational environment. Moreland Discovery is new, adding another grade each
year, Although their third grade class in 1998 didn't show this so badly,
following math by grades on the SAT-9 we have:

1998 - Grade 2 - 79 (6 points above reading)
1999 - Grade 3 - 77 (2 points behind reading)
2000 - Grade 4 - 69 (13 points behind reading)

Don't worry; these parents can afford Kumon, Sylvan Learning, or private
tutors. Probably are already using them. It's Saturday so I can't call but if
it's not MathLand, Quest 2000, or TERC, drinks are on me.

Wayne.