Topic: Re: square roots and Lysenko
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu

Re: square roots and Lysenko

Victor Steinbok wrote:

> At 10:00 AM 8/9/00, Wayne Bishop wrote:

> >In fact, the Lysenko analogy was equally
> >appropriate for Skinnerianism in education then as it is for constructivism

in
> >education today. Both are different ways to avoid good, direct instruction
by
> >knowledgeable teachers in an environment of academic competence with respect
> >for fellow students, teachers (not guides-on-the-side), and the disciplines
> >under consideration. That's what good schools meant then; that's what good
> >schools mean now.

> Please provide non-behaviorist, non-constructivist solid research to
> justify what you mean by "good, direct instruction by knowledgeable
> teachers". In fact, first define the terms "good", "direct" and
> "knowledgeable". Please avoid using the behaviorist and constructivist
> vocabularies and methods, since, according to your own statement, they are
> tainted.

We all know what Wayne means, Victor: "My way, or the highway." He believes
that research in mathematics education can't produce anything worthwhile because
he discounts the research before it's been done. He has no basis upon which to
say that a given piece of research is good or bad. In order to evaluate
education research, he'd first have to understand it. He's given us ample
evidence that he has no intention of doing so.

--Lou Talman
Campus Box 38
Metropolitan State College of Denver
PO Box 173362