----------
> From: Michael Paul Goldenberg <michaelpaulgoldenberg@hotmail.com>
snip

> BUT RAY-AY! (did that communicate the proper amount of whining I hoped to

> convey?) According to an earlier post by Andy Isaacs, Edison Schools use
> Everyday Math. Wayne Bishop and the boys of MC have declared that a "bad
> program." It follows that Edison Schools are bad. So I'm afraid they're
> racist (the logic here is compelling, isn't it? Once you start using
> MC-think, it's quite a heady experience). Hence, you really can't bring

them
> in as an example of anyone benefiting from vouchers, especially poor kids

> (those would be the ones I stay up late at night conspiring to keep from
> gettin' uppity).

I have never set foot in an Edison school. But if they are successful
using some particular program, so be it. It may not be optimal, it may be
far from optimal, it may not be half as good as the school next door, but
if it is twice as good as doing nothing, then do it. I personally believe
that variables other than curricula account for an order of magnitude more
difference than curricula per se but have little evidence to back it.

> >Not true. Use a voucher scheme that leaves part of the state money with
> >the school and gives part to a private school student. If you'll set up
> >the equations and runs some examples for reasonable values of the
> >parameters you find that this class of schemes can in fact increase the
> >total spending on education, increase the per student funding in public
> >schools where high percentages of students have left with vouchers, and
> >decrease state spending on education.
> >

> A provocative assertion. Would you care to do more than assert it? It's
> summertime and I don't feel like doing homework, least of all someone
> else's.

Here's a simple set I played with:

Let R be the fraction of voucher students
state_spending = R*(voucher + leave_behind) + (1-R)*district_payment
total spending = R*tuition + R*leave_behind + (1-R)*district_payment
cost to private school parents = tuition - voucher
funds_per_private =private_tuition
funds_per_public = R/(1-R)* leave_behind + district_payment

That is a simple set. You can add constraints of myriad sorts.