Topic: Constructivism (Fwd: [Maths-Education] The Sociological Theory of
Piaget and Vygotsky)

Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Stephen Campbell

Constructivism (Fwd: [Maths-Education] The Sociological Theory of
Piaget and Vygotsky)

I have received kind permission from Dr. Engström to forward this
post to the amte listserver. Perhaps some of you will find it of
interest.

> [...]
>This message has been generated through the Mathematics Education
>email discussion list.
>Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
>********************************************************************************
>
>Dear list members,
>
>may I draw your attention to a recently published journal
>- New Ideas in Psychology, 2000,18(2-3) -
>that probably not usually are read by the list members.
>It is a special issue on the sociological(!) works of Piaget (Sociological
>Studies, 1995, Routledge).
>
>Those of you who still believe that Piaget has nothing to contribute to the
>issue of "the social" in mathematics education will be surprised, (as well
>as those of you who do not know that Vygotsky was a behaviorist as late as
>1930..... see deVries below.)
>
>In one article on "Contstraint and cooperation algebraic probem solving",
>Analucia Schliemann argues that "Piaget's, analysis of the role of social
>life and cooperation constitute a rich theoretical approach for
>understanding how children come to develop, understand, and use culturally
>developed mathematical representations".
>
>A new translation (made by Les Smith, UK) of Piaget's response to Vygotsky
>remarks about Piaget's theory is also published.
>
>May I quote from the introduction of one of the papers:
>
>"One might legitimately wonder why discussion of a collection of essays
>written between 40 to 70 years ago is appropriate for a journal entitled
>New Ideas in Psychology. But the issues Piaget discussed in these essays
>are of just as much importance today as they were at the time he was
>writing. This is because in these essays Piaget explored the role of social
>interaction in the development of knowledge from an epiistemological
>perspective."
>
>The journal can be found on:
>http://www.elsevier.com/locate/newideapsych
>
>*New Ideas in Pschology, 2000,18(2-3)*
>Content:
>
>Kitchener, R.F. Editor's introduction.119-120.
>
>Furth, H.G. & Youniss, J. Reflections on Piaget's sociological studies.
>121-133.
>
>Harree, R. Piaget's "Sociological Studies". 135-138.
>
>The role of social inteaction in Piaget's theory: language for social
>cooperation and social cooperation for language. 139-156.
>
>Schlieman, A.D. Constraint and cooperation in algebraic problem solving.
>157-169.
>
>Moessinger, P. Piaget: from biology to sociology. 171-176.
>
>Lightfoot, C. On respect. 177-185.
>
>DeVries, R. Vygotsky, Piaget, and Education: a reciprocal assimilation of
>theories and educational practices. 187-213.
>
>Sociocultural critique of Piaget and Vygotsky. 215-239.
>
>Piaget, J. Commentary on Vygotsky's criticisms of Laanguage and thought of
>the child and Judgement and reasoning in teh child. 241-259.
>
>Mays, W. Piaget's sociology revisited. 261-275.
>
>Via your university library you may also be able to read the article on-line.

01101010001010001010001000001010000010001010001000001000001

Stephen (Sen) Campbell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Mathematics Education
Department of Education, University of California, Irvine
2001 Berkeley Place, Irvine, California, U.S.A. 92697-5500

Voice: (949) 824-7736; Fax: (949) 824-2965

01000001000101000001000100000100000001000101000101000100...