Topic: Re: listserve
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 30, 2000 10:12 PM

RayM

Re: listserve

Can I be so bold as to make a suggestion? Use the current AMTE mailing
list to send a notice when the new site is up rather than asking everyone
to check for themselves.

----------
> From: Mark Klespis <mth_mlk@shsu.edu>
> To: amte@esunix.emporia.edu
> Subject: Re: listserve
> Date: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 17:52
>
> Owen,
>
> Please accept my apologies for the tone of my post. I was responding to

Wayne's
> sarcasm and it got the better of me. Mea culpa.
>
> No one is more disappointed than I about discontinuing the listserve.

However,
> AMTE is NOT dead (I'm assuming you meant the death of the AMTE
listserve).

> BUT, I cannot stress this enough: there WILL be a listserve. People can

post,
> but there will be moderators. Then perhaps you won't see a stupid
exchange just
> like the one Wayne and I just had. The current listserve was to be
unmoderated
> but people could file complaints - this didn't seem to work too well, and
the
> postings didn't seem to improve. The AMTE's Electronic Communications
Committee
> is currently working out the logistics with the Math Forum for the new
listserve,
> but I do not know the details. There will be a gap of time when there is
no
> listserve and - like you, I'm sure - I'm hoping it'll be a short gap.
The best
> advice I can give you is to check our website periodically for an
announcement.

> Were there valuable, informative postings? Of course, but they were

buried under
> an epistolary tsunami of rancor and disrespect. Surely you don't want to
> continue to read those types of posts do you? No one benefits and we

diminish
> ourselves and our profession. No one is ruling out disagreements - but
we can do
> a better job of disagreeing.
>
> Mark Klespis
> Sam Houston State University
>
> PS: If you need to vent and be uncivil - you can send me a private

e-mail. No
> need to bother anyone else. I'm serious.
>

> Vlorbik@aol.com wrote:
>

> > thanks for insulting everyone
> > who's disappointed at the death of amte.
> > i'd reply at greater length
> > but i promised i'd keep it civil.
> >
> > << OK. Let's try this one more time. I'll will try to keep it simple.
> >
> > The CURRENT listserve is being discontinued. It will be reinstated

through
> > the Math Forum as a moderated list. Time TBA.
> >
> > So Xxxx Xxxxx can wait for the new listserve to get up and running and

be able
> > to keep in touch.
> >
> > Mark Klespis
> > Sam Houston State University
> >
> > PS: If Xxxx Xxxxx has to ask why this current listserv is being

discontinued,
> > then a) I question what he/she finds informative or b) really hasn't
been
> > paying attention.
> >
> > MK

Date Subject Author