Topic: AP-Statistics Progress Report (fwd)
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Joe H Ward

AP-Statistics Progress Report (fwd)

Hi to AP-Statistics "enthusiasts".

This may be of interest!

--
Joe
* Joe Ward 167 East Arrowhead Dr. *

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 21:39:47 -0500 (CDT)
From: Joe H Ward <joeward@tenet.edu>
To: "Jim Armstrong (ETS)" <jarmstrong@ets.org>
Subject: AP-Statistics Progress Report

Hi Jim --

I've been busy with a few AP-Statistics activities, so I thought I would
summarize:

-- We had a very good turn out for our AP-Statistics Meeting on Thursday,
Sept. 21 at Trinity University, in spite of our much-needed rain storms
all day and night. We had a good mix of 37 teachers, university faculty,
statisticians, students and their parents. The Announcement is included
below. Each attendee received:

(1) A copy of the AP-Statistics booklet,

(2) A list of over 20 professional statisticians from our San Antonio
Chapter of ASA who have volunteered to help students and teachers with
data analysis and research project designs,

(3) A list of the textbook and software distributors who contributed
"door prizes" for the attendees,

(4) A Preliminary Announcement of Summer plans for Statistics-related
workshops.

(5) Over 20 of the 37 attendees received "door prizes" contributed by
various statistics-related distributors. Graphing calculators, statistical
software, and books were well-received by all attendees. These
contributed items were from distributors whose products are listed in the
"blue insert" in the AP-Stat acorn book.

-- The American Statistical Association has completed distribution of
copies of the AP-Statistics booklet to the President and Chapter
Representative of each ASA Chapter. This action was stimulated at the ASA
Council of Chapter Representatives meeting in Orlando. Thanks for your
prompt support of this mail-out. Let's hope that the local ASA Chapters
will stimulate some action in the schools.

-- At the ASA meeting in Orlando, Jim Matis (TAMU) and I discussed his
plans for an AP-Stat Workshop at Texas A&M next summer. But since Jim is
in India I have not heard the details about the dates. If there is demand
in our San Antonio area, we may be able to have an AP-Workshop in San
Antonio.

-- As of yesterday, I have become the Moderator of an AP-Statistics
Newsgroup for TENET.EDU. We will bring in items from Jim Swift's listserv.
I'll keep you posted on any interesting items. Incidentally, I posted
the AP-Statistics Announcement on the "ap-math" Newsgroup on TENET.EDU
and at least one person who saw the Announcement on the Newgroup traveled
the farthest -- about 80 miles from Austin-- through the rain storms!

-- We can use about 40 more copies of the AP-Statistics announcements,
when you get a chance to send them to me. There are forthcoming math
teacher's meetings for which we would like to have a supply.

All for now.

--
Joe

* Joe Ward 167 East Arrowhead Dr. *
* Health Careers High School San Antonio, TX 78228-2402 *
* Univ. of Texas at San Antonio Phone: 210-433-6575 *
* joeward@tenet.edu *
------
Announcing a Joint Meeting
of the
San Antonio Chapter of the American Statistical Association (ASA)
and the
Alamo District Council of Teachers of Mathematics (ADCTM)

Featuring Statistics Education and the New
Advanced Placement Statistics Examination

When: Thursday, September 21, 1995
6:30 pm Catered Refreshments/Hors D'oeuvres
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm Program

Where: Science Lecture Hall
Trinity University
(Located West of Laurie Auditorium)
(Parking in B-lot, North of Laurie Auditorium)

Subject: Advanced Placement (AP) Statistics in '97:
What's IN, What's OUT? What's HOT, What's NOT?

Presenters: Laura Niland and Joe Ward

For Whom: Teachers, counselors, school administrators, students,
statisticians, parents and other interested persons are
encouraged to attend.

There will be Door Prizes of Statistics-Related Teacher Materials

Laura Niland and Joe Ward attended the AP-Statistics Workshop this summer at
Trinity University and will discuss some of the details about:

-- Who Should Take an AP Statistics Course,
-- Outline of Topics,
-- The Use of Technology in AP Statistics,
-- Instructional Emphasis,
-- Sample Questions,
-- Suggested Textbooks, References, and Software

It is important for high school teachers, school administrators and counselors
to plan now for offering an AP-Statistics course in the 1996-97 school year.
College faculties will want to become aware of the course contents.

This meeting will provide an opportunity for attendees to not only learn
more about the AP-Statistics Course and Exam, but establish linkages among
teachers, students and practicing statisticians who have volunteered to assist
high school students with the planning and data analysis for research projects.

Laura Niland is the 1988 Presidential Awardee in Secondary Mathematics for
Texas and she teaches statistics and other math courses at MacArthur High
school. Laura and Joe Ward have conducted workshops in Data Analysis for High
School Teachers and Students for several years. These workshops have been
supported by the San Antonio Chapter of ASA and other professional
organizations.

Please RSVP by phone or email IF YOU WILL ATTEND to:

Dr. Joe Ward or Dr. Richard Cooper
210-433-6575 210-736-8244
email: joeward@tenet.edu email: rcooper@trinity.edu

Preliminary Announcement follows:
PRELIMINARY ADVANCED PLACEMENT (AP) STATISTICS WORKSHOP
ANNOUNCEMENT: AND
STUDENT & TEACHER COLLABORATIVE PROJECT IN
PROBLEM SOLVING USING DATA ANALYSIS
(STCP96)
JUNE -- 1996 - DATES TBA

From: Joe Ward
167 East Arrowhead Dr., San Antonio, TX 78228-2402
(210) 433-6575
joeward@tenet.edu

** Do you have students who want to take an AP-Statistics Course
in '96-'97?

** Have you ever had students enter research projects into
competition and be marked down because of
-- insufficient data?
-- student's inability to explain the data analysis?

** Have you had a problem finding statistical computer programs to
support data analysis for research projects?

** Have you had a problem locating someone to help with the
statistical aspects of student research projects?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then these activities may
be for you! They provide an unusual opportunity for teachers (and
their students) to acquire capabilities for data analysis using
statistical software not available elsewhere.

One week, FOR TEACHERS ONLY, will be devoted to the Topics
described in the College Board AP-Statistics Course Description.
The remainder of the workshop (two or three weeks) will be for
teachers and students.

This project will empower students to: (1) Identify and express
real-world problems in natural language in preparation for creating
formal mathematical/statistical models, (2) Translate the natural
language problem statement into a mathematical model appropriate
for analysis using a statistical software package, and (3)
Interpret and present the results in both written and verbal form
appropriate to assist in real-world decisions.

The AP-Statistics part of the project (approximately one week) will
be FOR TEACHERS ONLY. The second part will be for TEACHERS AND
STUDENTS. Student participants will be selected by their mentor
teachers and will be those who have been identified by their
teachers as students who are committed to conducting a research
project to completion. Monitoring and evaluation of the project
will consist of testing of skill acquisition during the formal
learning sessions; but, of most importance, are the students'
performance in the conduct and completion of research projects.
The focus of evaluation in this project is the short-term
performance of the students who apply their new skills in research
projects. The teachers' success will be indicated by the quality
of their students' research project analysis.

The project director is Dr. Joe Ward, assisted by Ms. Laura Niland.
Dr. Ward has had much experience in introducing high school
students and teachers in the applications of computers and
statistics in research. He has developed curriculum and taught
Problem Solving Through Data Analysis in the San Antonio PREP
program. He is a past member of the American Statistical
Association-National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Joint
Committee on the Curriculum in Statistics and Probability. Ms.
Niland has been recognized as a Texas Presidential Awardee in
Mathematics and is actively teaching MacArthur high school students
to use quantitative methods of data analysis. The instruction will
be enriched through the assistance of Paul Foerster of Alamo
Heights High School who is author of several widely-adopted
mathematics text books, practicing statisticians and teachers who
have attended previous STCP programs.