Subject: Re: Probability ?
Author: Pat Ballew at ~misa-hs
Date: 5/10/96 1:10 PM

Josh,
Why not simultate the event. Have your computer "randomly" pick
four numbers from 1 to 80 a couple of thousand times. since it
doesn't matter what numbers you pick, pick 1,2,3,4 and count how many
times you win and how much in a couple of different arrays, then you
will know if your result or their result is better.
Of course if you don't trust the computer you could put four aces in
a group of 80 cards (with no OTHER aces), shuffle, deal 4, count aces,
record results, repeat until the results seem to be within a limit of
your satisfaction.

Pat Ballew
Misawa, Japan

Subject: Probability ?
Author: Josh_Tabor@bubbs.biola.edu (Josh Tabor) at EDU-INTERNET
Date: 5/8/96 10:15 PM

Hello everyone.

I've got a probability question that I'm having trouble with. In California,
we have a lottery/keno game and I am interested in the expected value of the
game. In one version, you are allowed to pick 4 numbers from 1 to 80
inclusive. Every 5 minutes a computer randomly draws 20 winning numbers. If
all four of yours are in the winning 20, you win $50 (for a $1 bet), 3 of 4 =
$4, and 2 of 4 = $1. How do you calculate the probability of each case? The
published odds of winning a prize (4,3, or 2 correct) are 1:3.9. I've tried
several different approaches and cannot get my answer to match th published
odds. Help.

Josh Tabor
Wilson High School