Topic: AP-Statistics at ASA Chicago
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Joe H Ward

AP-Statistics at ASA Chicago

Greetings to all --

If anyone is interested in disussing AP-Statistics courses I would be
interested in meeting at ASA to hear your latest thoughts. Al Coons lead
an excellent informal discussion group at the NCTM (National Council of
Teachers of Mathematics) in April in San Diego. If there is enough
interest we might gather in one place at a particular time.

I am staying at the Hyatt Regency, arriving late Saturday and departing
late Friday. Give me a call at the hotel. I will check my email early
Saturday morning to see if there is any interest.

We might discuss the implications of the VERY SIGNIFICANT additions to the
major topic--

II. C. Planning and conducting experiments

The PRELIMINARY VERSION listed
1. Randomized comparative experiments
a. Reducing the effect of uncontrolled factors
b. Measuring the experimental error
2. Blocking to reduce variation

The LATEST VERSION lists
1. Experiments versus observational studies versus surveys
2. Confounding, control groups, placebo effects, blinding
3. Treatments, experimental units, and randomization
4. Completely randomized design for two treatments
5. Randomized paired comparison design
6. Replication, blocking, and generalizability of results

The development committee should be congratulated for expanding this part
of the Outline.

Questions about this significant expansion has been sent to the apstat-l
list by Bruce King. For those who may not have seen Bruce's messages,
they are included below.

-- Joe
* Joe Ward 167 East Arrowhead Dr. *
* Health Careers High School San Antonio, TX 78228-2402 *
* Univ. of Texas at San Antonio Phone: 210-433-6575 *
* joeward@tenet.edu *

From KINGB@WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDUThu Aug 1 11:46:53 1996
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:49:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: KINGB@WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU
To: apstat-l@etc.bc.ca
Cc: KINGB@WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU
Subject: "blocking" in the course outline; what does it mean in practice?

Last week I was at the AP Institute in St. Johnsbury, VT, where I was the
instructor for the AP Stats teachers. Not surprisingly, I seem to think
harder about concepts and principles when I'm responsible for
communicating them to others. Two issues arose last week that I had not
thought about before, that may bear examination by others on this list.

I'll submit one of them in this message, and the other in a separate
message.

(1) The outline in the AP Statistics Course Description specifically
mentions "blocking" (p.6, item II.C.6), as does the draft version of the
Teacher's Guide (p.41, same item number). I find myself wondering if
this means that randomized block designs are part of the course. (There
is a nice diagram in David Moore's BPS, p.214, that helps us to "see" the
logic of the design--which he calls a "block design".)

As far as I know, an analysis of variance is the usual way of analyzing
the output from a randomized block design. But ANOVA is not part of the
course. So what is the AP Stats teacher supposed to do?

My guess (asserted last week at the Institute) is that students are
responsible for understanding the structure and purpose of the design
(see the Course Description, p.27, question 13), for recognizing it when
confronted with a situation that involves it (see the Course Description,
p.26, question 11), and perhaps even for planning a study that employs
it. But I assume that they cannot be held responsible for a formal
analysis of the output from that design.

So what kind of analysis can we expect from AP students? My guess was
that they can be held responsible for a formal analysis within each block
of the design, but only for an informal comparison among blocks.

Do I have this right?

< second issue in next message >

Bruce King
Western Connecticut State University
181 White Street
Danbury, CT 06810
(kingb@wcsub.ctstateu.edu)
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Bruce's Second Message VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV