The Math Forum

Topic: Rhind Papyrus is the Canons of Zephon
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jul 20, 2009 6:41 AM

Re: Rhind Papyrus is the Canons of Zephon

Since the list is closing down, I don't have the time to make a thorough
investigation, for which I'll need to consult somebody who can read
ancient Egyptian texts, I'm just sending a speculation.

On Thu, 7 May 2009, Hossam Aboulfotouh wrote:

> Dear List Members:
> In many books and articles that speak about the Mathematics of the Ancient
> Egyptians we read translations for the prelude text of the so-called
> Rhind Mathematical Papyrus-RMP; see the hieratic text of that prelude
> via this link: http://www.irem.univ-renne >
> Their authors said that RMP was copied by scribe his name is Ahmes, prior to
> the early days of the so-called the New Kingdom. Today, if one intended
> to run Google-search for the two words: Scribe & Ahmes, one will get
> more than thousand pages; this will b >
> My intention here is to protect the copyright of the original author of this
> excellent work. For decades, translators have endowed that copyright to
> an imaginary scribe, they said his name is "Ahmes"; which is wrong
> information and is not mentioned in the >
> In the prelude of the so-called Rhind Mathematical Papyrus, both the title
> and the name of its original author were clearly mentioned; it is titled:
> "The Canons ofZephon, the Handbook of Horapedon"
> Who was Zephon? It seems that Zephon was very knowledgeable person; his
> numerical and guiding texts give us an idea about his ability not only
> in mathematics but also in divine numerology and spherical astronomy.
> His name is mentioned in the Exodus 14:2, >
> This is a call to protect the copyright of Zephon, when you discuss, or
> refer to, his mathematical handbook.
> Best Regards
> Hossam Aboulfotouh

The mention in Exodus, of Baal Tsphon, is clearly, from the context, to a
place name. The word "tsaphon" in Hebrew means "north". There is a
similar word, "tsaphoon", which means "kept secretly, hidden".
While Hebrew and ancient Egyptian are very different languages, it's
possible that some words passed from one to the other. According to
Genesis 41, 45, Pharaoh named Joseph "Tsophnat Paaneakh", which may mean
"the solver of secrets". If that is so, then the word "tsaphon" (or
"Zaphon") at the prelude to the RMP refers to secrets, which accords with
the usual translation of that prelude.

Avinoam Mann