The Math Forum

Topic: Rhind Papyrus is the Canons of Zephon
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jul 20, 2009 6:41 AM

MANN@vms.huji.ac.il

Re: Rhind Papyrus is the Canons of Zephon

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, Hossam Aboulfotouh wrote:

> > Since the list is closing down, I don't have the time
> > to make a thorough
> > investigation, for which I'll need to consult
> > somebody who can read
> > ancient Egyptian texts, I'm just sending a
> > speculation.
> >
> > On Thu, 7 May 2009, Hossam Aboulfotouh wrote:
> >

> > > Dear List Members:
> > >
> > > In many books and articles that speak about the

> > Mathematics of the Ancient
> > > Egyptians we read translations for the prelude text
> > of the so-called
> > > Rhind Mathematical Papyrus-RMP; see the hieratic
> > text of that prelude
> > > via this link: http://www.irem.univ-renne >
> > > Their authors said that RMP was copied by scribe

> > his name is Ahmes, prior to
> > > the early days of the so-called the New Kingdom.
> > Today, if one intended
> > > to run Google-search for the two words: Scribe &
> > Ahmes, one will get
> > > more than thousand pages; this will b >
> > > My intention here is to protect the copyright of

> > the original author of this
> > > excellent work. For decades, translators have
> > endowed that copyright to
> > > an imaginary scribe, they said his name is "Ahmes";
> > which is wrong
> > > information and is not mentioned in the >
> > > In the prelude of the so-called Rhind Mathematical

> > Papyrus, both the title
> > > and the name of its original author were clearly
> > mentioned; it is titled:
> > >
> > > "The Canons ofZephon, the Handbook of Horapedon"
> > >
> > > Who was Zephon? It seems that Zephon was very

> > knowledgeable person; his
> > > numerical and guiding texts give us an idea about
> > his ability not only
> > > in mathematics but also in divine numerology and
> > spherical astronomy.
> > > His name is mentioned in the Exodus 14:2, >
> > > This is a call to protect the copyright of Zephon,

> > when you discuss, or
> > > refer to, his mathematical handbook.
> > >

> > > Best Regards
> > >
> > > Hossam Aboulfotouh
> > > http://www.fotouh.netfirms.com
> > >

> > The mention in Exodus, of Baal Tsphon, is clearly,
> > from the context, to a
> > place name. The word "tsaphon" in Hebrew means
> > "north". There is a
> > similar word, "tsaphoon", which means "kept secretly,
> > hidden".
> > While Hebrew and ancient Egyptian are very different
> > languages, it's
> > possible that some words passed from one to the
> > other. According to
> > Genesis 41, 45, Pharaoh named Joseph "Tsophnat
> > Paaneakh", which may mean
> > "the solver of secrets". If that is so, then the word
> > "tsaphon" (or
> > "Zaphon") at the prelude to the RMP refers to
> > secrets, which accords with
> > the usual translation of that prelude.
> >
> > Avinoam Mann

> Just for clarifying the meaning of some Egyptian names mentioned in the Bible:

> [...]

It's certainly possible that some Egyptian words and terms entered the
Bible. However, Baal, in the Bible (and in other near eastern writings)
is the name of a Canaaite god, that is very clear from the many places in
which that name is mentioned. It seems that the Canaaites believed that
their gods dwell in the north, and that may be the reason for the place
name Baal Tsaphon, mentioned in Exodus and in Numeri. Hossam Aboulfotouh,
in the messages above, seems to interpret the word Tsaphon (or Zephon)
both as the name of a person and as "North". The word Baal entered into
English in, say, the name Beelzebub, whivh Milton gives to Satan's 2nd in
command, and Golding used for the title of his Book _Lord of the Flies_.

I remind you that the relevance of all this to the history of Mathematics
is in the question who was the author of RMP: Ahmes or Zephon.

Avinoam Mann (taking the chance that this message will reach somebody)