kingb@wcsu.ctstateu.edu

From: SMTP%"sseibert@hersheys.com" 18-DEC-1996 08:38:33.71
To: KINGB
CC:
Subj: Re: population proportion of orange Reese's Pieces

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 08:35:49 -0500
To: KINGB@WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU (by way of Hershey Foods Corp)
From: Hershey Foods - Consumer Relations <sseibert@hersheys.com>
Subject: Re: population proportion of orange Reese's Pieces

Our Research Department evaluates product colors in an effort to achieve the
best possible selection, and decisions concerning the colors we select are
based upon many factors. One reason for rejecting certain colors involves
psychology. Tests have shown that certain colors are not very popular food
colors with consumers. Another factor involves quality standards set by the
Food and Drug Administration and our own Quality Assurance Staff.

When this product is manufactured, all colors are cast ine equal quantities.
However, as they approach the packaging machines already sorted, the manner
in which they fall into the boxes determines the variation of colors.

Thank you for contacting Hershey Foods.